3-6 MONTH FELLOWSHIP STARTING MAY 2018 (flexible); deadline: April 15
Flare is a fast-growing startup building the emergency response of the future. Our vision is that no matter where you are, or who you are, emergency response is only minutes away.
In just under a year of operating in Kenya, we have integrated the largest aggregate fleet of ambulance and fire responders on one digital platform, reduced response times by three-fold, and attracted tens of thousands of members onto our consumer-facing product, Rescue, through corporate partnerships and direct to consumer sales.
This early success is largely due to the heroes that use the Flare platform: medical professionals, ambulance operators, and firefighters. They inspired us to build Flare, and now we work together to build the future of emergency response. Flare is scaling up in Kenya with plans to expand to other major cities such as Casablanca, Johannesburg, Lagos, and Accra. Check us out on the BBC, the Economist, and Quartz.
About the Role
As the Special Projects Strategist, you will be our internal consultant, process engineer, and team strategy guru. You can define and work on special projects for our key work-streams: dispatch operations, first-response partnerships, consumer-facing product sales (that’s flying off the shelf!), and growth and business development opportunities.
This will be a fast-paced and agile role with a ton of on-the-job learning. Our ideal candidate is self-directed and creative, enjoys working with people and data, and thrives in dynamic and unstructured settings.
Start Date: May 2018 (flexible)
Roles and responsibilities:
- Develop a systems-level view of the business, including key work-streams like dispatch operations, first-response partnerships, and Rescue customer engagement
- Identify opportunities to build or streamline processes and improve customer experience through user feedback and data-driven methods
- Set up the above as a continuous improvement process to identify issues, develop solutions, and evaluate progress
- Lead big strategy brainstorms with the team to define growth opportunities then translate to implementation and work plans
- Embrace a self-directed role that is constantly on the look out for operational improvements, strategic opportunities, and ways to improve customer experience
Requirements: We love consultants, creatives, designers, engineers, or techies. Our team is diverse, and we recognize the importance of bringing together different backgrounds. Some nice-to-haves include:
- Ability to derive meaningful insights from qualitative and quantitative data and translate into implementable, customer-centric solution
- Interest in working in a start-up environment in an emerging market, which means double the fun and double the risk
- Experience in healthcare, logistics, internet/consumer technology, or familiarity with Africa, though none are mandatory as long as you believe in the mission and like tech-enabled solutions!
- Make a huge impact by revolutionizing emergency response and healthcare
- Help define the direction of an exciting start-up, including how we expand after Nairobi
- Work directly with both co-founders (Maria and Caitlin) on a daily basis
- Boxing workouts and runs, daily delicious team lunches, and Kenyan coffee (it’s good!)
- Nairobi is amazingly fun and adventurous, both in terms of nightlife and access to safaris, beach trips, and excursions all over Kenya. Check out NYTimes 36 Hours.
Compensation: Monthly start-up stipend. We’ll fly you out, give you a place to stay, show you a great time and take care of you while you’re here.
Contact us by April 15th at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org, and note the job title in the subject of the email.
- Unity: at Flare, we believe that we are greater than the sum of our parts. Along with our ambulance company and hospital partners, and using the Flare technology, we can effectively service the entire country, guaranteeing better response times and better coverage than any one company could ever do alone.
- Integrity: we make a promise to our partners that we will always be transparent and remain committed to growing their businesses alongside ours.
- Excellence: at Flare we are aim to make quality emergency care universal. We’ve made a lot of progress, but it will take grit, creativity, and an ongoing commitment to being better than yesterday - as individuals, as a team, and as a greater network of emergency response.
- Speed: in an emergency, every minute matters. It can save your life. We value speed in first response as much as in our day to day work.