Start Date: March, 2018
Timeframe: Potentially take Green Africa Airways through IPO
About Green Africa Airways
Green Africa Airways is a value airline start-up based in Lagos, Nigeria. We firmly believe that the ease of movement of people, goods, and services is key to unleashing the economic potential of any country or region. Through safe, quality and affordable air travel, we seek to profitably be significant contributors to the economic development of Nigeria and the African continent. We love to think that we are in the business of creating a future full of possibilities in the region.
Green Africa Airways has received an Air Transport License (ATL) from the Nigerian government and recently commenced its AOC process. The new airline is backed with Series A capital by a Pan African Investment Fund based in New York with additional offices in Lagos and Nairobi. In anticipation of future capital need to weather any unforeseen externality and diligently fund growth, the new airline is also already working on its Series B round with a target raise of $100 million.
Green Africa Airways enjoys the advice of and access to some of the most senior leaders in the global aviation industry. Over the next decade or so, we hope to create the “Indigo airline” of Nigeria and “LATAM” of Africa in terms of impact, scale, and profitability.
Green Africa Airways promotes diversity and equal opportunities for all. We aim to create an environment where our employees are treated fairly, irrespective of age, disability, gender, race, religion, and belief. We are committed to creating an environment where all employees feel welcomed and valued.
About the Role
We are looking for a finance leader who is excited about the possibility of a full cycle journey – from start-up to launch, scale and initial public offering. The Chief Financial Officer will be responsible for all financial and fiscal management aspects of Company’s operations. She/he would also provide strategic leadership and coordination in the administrative, business planning, accounting and budgeting efforts of the company. The Chief Financial Officer is accountable for the development of a financial strategy, metrics tied to that strategy, and the ongoing development and monitoring of control systems designed to preserve company assets and report accurate financial results. The CFO will report to the CEO and will have a direct access to the Company’s Board of Directors.
Some of the areas the CFO will broadly be responsible for include:
· Strategic cash flow management
· Strategic corporate financial planning, analysis & control
· Managing investor, banking & lessor relationships (in conjunction with the CEO)
· Fuel and foreign currency hedging
· Capital market transactions
· Insurance procurement
· Lease negotiations (aircraft, real estate, etc.)
· General corporate procurements
· Data mining & analysis (market & customer research)
· Internal & external audit process
· Corporate financial reporting
Specific responsibilities would include:
Corporate Financial Health & Efficiency
· Responsible for developing reliable cash flow projections and reporting mechanism that includes minimum cash threshold to meet operating needs of the company
· Build a strong financial platform that will make it possible for Green Africa Airways to profitably deliver on its mission of providing affordable fares to customers
· Oversee sound and cost-effective fuel and foreign currency hedges for the company
· Lead Green Africa Airways’ budgeting and long-term financial planning process
· Serve as a senior thought partner to the CEO, other members of the management team and the Board of Directors
· Provides strategic financial input and leadership on management decisions (e.g. growth, new markets, fleet financing, etc.)
· Coordinate with other functional/departmental leaders to gain a strategic understanding of their respective initiatives and what would be the financial implications. The objective is to avoid silos and ensure that all departments are collaborating and driving towards the same set of goals
Series B Fundraising
· Work with the CEO and other stakeholders to ensure a successful Series B round of financing for Green Africa Airways. Current target raise for the round is ~$100 million
· Oversee general corporate procurements to ensure that the company is getting the best value for all its purchases and company assets are well accounted for
· Select, implement and improve systems and software platforms as appropriate
· Manage treasury, finance, accounting and compliance functions with the necessary processes, systems, and internal controls to safeguard corporate assets
· Serve as key advocate for the use of technology to drive sound, efficient and timely corporate financial decisions
· As one of the key officers of the firm, the CFO will be co-responsible for identifying, hiring, training, mentoring and promoting talents within the firm to ensure a robust succession planning
Financial Reporting & Compliance
· Ensure compliance with all tax reporting requirements
· Coordinates with appropriate legal counsel relating to financial and corporate governance compliance and risk assessment matters
· Responsible for promptly and accurately filing all required financial reports with appropriate government and regulatory authorities
· Oversee regular external financial auditing exercises for Green Africa Airways
· Fanatical about getting things done and translating strategies into measurable action plans
· Extensive senior level experience as a finance leader is required
· Previous experience successfully leading capital raising efforts is a plus (though not required)
· Prior experience successfully working in an emerging market with a challenging operating and regulatory environment
· Strong systems, process, and best practices experience
· Desire to live, work, and travel around Nigeria / West Africa for several years
· Sound strategic mind with excellent analytical skills, including Excel modeling and data analysis
· Flexible and adaptable to a changing environment; thrives in an entrepreneurial culture
· Enthusiastic about the power of value air travel to create new possibilities both in terms of financial return and social impact
· Genuine interest in mentoring and coaching high performing teams
· Hard working and gritty to push through challenges
· Love for an environment where down-to-earth humility, mutual respect and good sense of humor are cherished
Competitive package (including equity) that will further make this journey worthwhile.
Apply by sending your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. In your cover letter, please state what excites you the most about becoming the CFO of Green Africa Airways, and what you think will be most challenging about it.