- Role Type: Full-time
- Location: TBD; establish office and have a presence on the African continent
- Salary: Commensurate with experience recognizing start-up nature of the business, with emphasis on long-term performance compensation
- Benefits: Start-up oriented including health insurance plan and technology allowance
- Apply here.
Capria Ventures is a global financial services innovator investing in the “missing middle” finance opportunity in emerging markets. Capria manages multiple investment funds, a fund manager advisory and accelerator, and the leading global network of impact fund managers. Capria is focused on delivering superior profits to investors along with social and environmental impact at scale, with a goal of unlocking over USD $500 million in impact capital by 2021 and positively impacting the lives of millions. Capria has offices in Seattle and Bangalore, and soon, on the African continent. More at: http://capria.vc and http://usf.vc
Overview of Responsibilities & Objectives
Capria is seeking a highly qualified, entrepreneurial, and self-directed investment professional to take on a new role to lead the setup and operations of the Capria’s new Africa regional office.
As of mid-2017, Capria Network members have presence in West, Southern, and South Africa. Approximately 40% of fund manager partnering opportunities are coming from the continent. As Regional Director for Africa, you will be an integral part of the Capria investment team as we continue to grow our investments and presence across the continent. You will work closely with Capria’s leadership team and be involved in virtually all aspects of our work including sourcing partnering opportunities, supporting our fund manager selection process, ensuring our portfolio is receiving world-class support to deliver targeted returns, supporting fundraising, and overseeing local business operations.
Experience and Capabilities
The most vital areas of experience for a successful candidate include:
1. Experience working and investing throughout Africa with strong, relevant business relationships established in multiple countries. We know investing globally; we need someone who knows Africa.
2. Demonstrably-relevant investing experience (preferably 5+ years) and credibility in making sound investment decisions, as evidenced by deal performance and professional recommendations. To be credible with our fund manager partners, you must have shown you have been an effective investor.
3. Experience in a start-up environment or equivalent for 5-10 years. We’re not a large PE firm with unlimited resources – we’re looking for someone who knows how to get a lot done, with limited resources, and quickly.
Key personal skills and abilities include:
1. Demonstrated aptitude as a fast learner of new skills and knowledge and a strong aptitude for using state-of-the-art technology for info sharing & communications.
2. Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
3. Ability to effectively synthesize complex information, exercising advanced critical thinking to deliver recommendations and solutions.
- Portfolio/Network Development & Support: You will work closely with Africa fund managers in Capria Network to ensure they are well positioned for success. You will be the primary investment team lead for each of our engagements with managers throughout Africa.
- Sourcing & Screening Investment Opportunities: Capria has already reviewed fund manager proposals from over 60+ countries with the largest number of proposals coming from Africa. You will lead our sourcing efforts throughout the continent to ensure we are connecting with the best managers throughout the region.
- Fundraising: Capria is currently raising the next $100M for Capria Fund to expand our investing in Africa and other markets. In addition to the Capria Fund, we provide direct fundraising support to each fund manager in our portfolio.
- Business Operations: You will manage and support operations, information and reporting for the Capria Africa office, overseeing one or two interns or junior staff members and ensuring we run an efficient and accountable organization, ensuring we are always in full compliance with local laws and partnership agreements.
Education and International Experience
The successful candidate will have a MBA or equivalent work experience, and will have at least 3 years experience working for a multi-national and/or working abroad in addition to the investing and start-up experienced referenced, thus having a strong understanding of global best practices in business operations