Location: Babessi, Cameroon—with significant time in other rural village communities
Compensation: Living stipend
Duration: One year
Who We Are
At Grassland Cameroon we believe in African farmers. We know that with the right resources, they can improve their livelihoods and escape poverty. We also believe that our solutions can be profit making and sustainable, making certain that our farmers have uninterrupted assistance over several years. Our goal is to ensure that the little food they produce is properly managed after harvest. We measure our impact by the productivity of our partnered farmers over time.
Cameroon is in the wettest part of Africa (the Congo Basin) and has the second highest concentration of biodiversity. With five agro ecological zones, beaches and a mountain— the second highest in Africa, Cameroon has everything Africa has to offer in one country. Nestled in the highlands of the North West of Cameroon, our facility is surrounded by farms and greenery, and a large farming community which produces grains, pulses, cocoa and coffee. It is our vision to extend our services across all production zones in the country, and to diversify into multiple crops.
What We Do
We are a food storage, drying, and distribution company that sources products from smallholder farmers, whom we support during the season with input loans and training, so that they can be more productive. We transform the farmers' produce into standardized, graded products that we sell across West and Central Africa, to buyers who can be sure of the quality they receive. In under a year of operations, we have worked with over 150 farmers, across almost 250 hectares of land and conditioned over 500 tons of corn.
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced, dynamic and hard-working Fellow who will lead day to day operations at our facility, train staff and strategize for increased farmer uptake and improved asset utilization. The job will involve overseeing field operations, managing staff, and streamlining operations while reducing costs. The Fellow will receive supervision and guidance from our CEO. It is a field-oriented leadership position, with a consistent blend of field and administrative work. The successful candidate will be willing to get their hands dirty and work closely with farmers, agents, logistics team and machine operators. We are looking for someone who is a dynamic, entrepreneurial and can work in a non scripted, start-up environment.
Your reponsibilities will include:
- Work with CEO to develop scale strategy and set operational, sales, and financial targets and KPIs
- Streamline operation processes to ensure funds disbursement and procurement occur in time to meet weekly/monthly sales targets
- Implement systems to record and monitor daily/weekly market prices per commodity per market in production zones
- Support CEO in systems development, team capacity building, and problem solving
- Manage and forge new local partnerships with farmer groups to improve grain sourcing
- Strengthen Grassland Cameroon’s relationships with local government and community organizations such as divisional mayors, cooperatives and community trucking unions
- Work with CEO to forge HR strategy, identify need for new roles, and support recruiting, training and development of Grassland Cameroon team
- Update and manage SOPs and other internal management practices
- Three to five years of work experience (experience in operations or management consulting is a plus);
- Exceptional people skills and managerial skills; avid team player with a coaching and mentoring approach
- Passionate about rural development and social enterprise, with demonstrated commitment to working with rural communities
- Experience traveling, living and/or working in West or Central Africa
- Fluency (or advanced business proficiency) in English (Pidgin & French is a plus)
- Ability to work on a variety of tasks at the same time, and keep track of a variety of work-streams
- Problem solver with excellent attention to detail, commitment to excellence, and outstanding work ethic
- Strong analytical skills, including Excel modeling and data analysis
- Flexible and adaptable to changing environments; thrives in a bootstrapped culture
- Strong technology skills (knowledge of Word, Excel, Salesforce, Google Docs, and Dropbox)
- B.A. in business, management, marketing, economics or a related field required; graduate degree (MBA, MPA/ID, MPA, MPH etc.) a plus, but not required
What you get
- Be part of a fast growing startup that is generating revenue
- Unparalleled personal and professional growth, while training the next generation of young African professionals
- An exciting adventure in Cameroon, the heart of Africa. A nation known as “Africa in miniature” for its diverse geography, climate, culture, foods and languages. From white sand beaches to Mt. Cameroon, and numerous waterfalls, there is plenty to explore and do.
- To improve the livelihoods of the worlds poorest population, while ensuring that the solution is profit making and sustainable
If you think this is for you, we are excited to hear form you. Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please state what excites you the most about this role, and what you think will be most challenging about it.