Private Equity Associate or Analyst (depending on previous experience)
- Start date: As soon as possible/Q1/Q2 2017
- Fixed salary: Market rate, commensurate with candidate's experience and track record
- Discretionary bonus at the end of each year (up to [■]% of fixed salary)
- Potential participation to Wendel shareholding plan and co-investment opportunities (depending on experience and track record)
- Healthcare coverage (Saham Assurance)
- Other benefits: [tbd]
- Location: Casablanca, Morocco – intensive travelling, particularly in Africa required
About Wendel and Wendel Africa
Wendel is one of Europe's leading listed investment firms, operating at the crossroads of industry and finance. Wendel’s know-how consists in selecting leading companies, making a long-term investment and helping to define ambitious strategies, while implementing a clear, explicit shareholder approach. To successfully execute its long-term investment strategy, Wendel has several strengths: a stable, family shareholder base, permanent capital and a portfolio of companies that lends the Group a very broad geographical and sectoral view. Since 1977, Wendel’s international investment teams, with their complementary profiles and expertise, have invested in a numerous successful companies, including Capgemini, BioMérieux, Reynolds, Stallergenes, Wheelabrator, Valeo, Afflelou, Editis, Deutsch and Legrand. Wendel's current portfolio consists in a diversified set of companies (including Bureau Veritas, Saint-Gobain, Constantia Flexibles, Allied Universal, Stahl, Cromology…) which are leaders in their industries and use innovation as the cornerstone of their development.
Through its portfolio companies, Wendel's presence in Africa dates back to several decades. Today, most Wendel portfolio companies have significant footprint and/or expansion plans in Africa. Over the past few years, Africa has become a pillar of Wendel's direct investment strategy. Wendel now makes a significant part of its new direct investments on the continent, and has established an office in Casablanca.
Since 2013, Wendel has made 4 direct investments in Africa, in IHS (a Telecom Towers business in Nigeria, Côte d'Ivoire, Cameroon, Rwanda and Zambia – over $800m invested by Wendel1), Saham (pan-African diversified Holding, particularly active in insurance, with presence in over 20 African countries – €100m invested by Wendel), SGI Africa (shopping malls in Western and Central Africa – €120m committed by Wendel) and Tsebo (pan-African facility services provider headquartered in South Africa – over €150m invested by Wendel). Wendel's ambition is to continue making such direct investments and to keep supporting its portfolio companies in their African development.
The candidate will be part of the Investment Team of Wendel Africa, supervised by 2 members of the Wendel Africa team (based in Casablanca) and in relation with Wendel's team of Investment professionals (based in Paris and London, as well as in other Wendel offices, i.e. New York, Singapore…).
The candidate will contribute to the identification of new targets, help in the due diligence of potential investments, participate in the close monitoring of our direct investments in Africa, and contribute to the African development of our other portfolio companies (e.g. M&A in Africa).
Key tasks will include:
- Sectors research and analysis, including desktop research, databases screening, expert's interviews, field visits...;
- Deal flow screening, potential targets and competitors analysis;
- Business Plans and Financial modeling;
- Company valuation;
- Writing of Investment Committee’s memos on investment recommendations;
- Involvement in transaction execution as a team member, when relevant.
- 1 to 6 years of experience in Private Equity, Investment Banking or Strategy Consulting (McK, BCG, Bain…)
- depth of experience will determine entry level;
- Ideally a combination of financial modelling experience (e.g. M&A) + business sense development experience (Strategy Consulting);
- The candidate will be expected to hit the ground running when it comes to modelling;
- Experience with senior interlocutors' management (as part of the team, the candidate will have to project seniority and bring credibility and gravitas to meetings);
- Tier 1 academics (depending on where the candidate has studied; e.g. top-ranked Business / Engineering School in France)
- Business sense and curiosity;
- Initiative and autonomy, high energy and drive, multi-tasking;
- Outstanding analytical skills and fact-based approach to issues;
- Reliability and integrity;
- Team spirit;
- Strong African background (knowledge of local business dynamics, practices, regulatory frameworks… in some African markets), with on-the-ground experience a real plus;
- Languages: English, French, and ideally an African language;
- Databases (Bloomberg/ Thomson/ Factiva).
- A combination of interviews with Africa and European teams
- Case Study/Modelling test designed to assess technical/financial acumen
- Final interview with Management/CEO
For more information, contact William McCaw of Principal Search Partners at firstname.lastname@example.org or +852 9665 0802.