Laterite is led by a team of entrepreneurial professionals who strive to transform the way development research is done. Our research team has degrees from some of the world’s top universities and vast experience delivering research projects in emerging markets. Our data collection team is recruited from the best local universities and are rigorously trained. We are proud to be a culturally diverse organization. We are also very proud of our office culture that is hard working, but relaxed, non-hierarchical, and fun!
Position Description & Key Responsibilities
The Senior Research Associate position is based in Kigali, Rwanda. Senior Research Associates at Laterite play a hands-on role in leading research projects, overseeing technical analysis and delivering research to clients. They are involved in all the steps of the research process, from designing research proposals to designing and piloting research instruments, designing sampling strategies, supervising data collection processes, conducting quantitative and qualitative analysis, writing reports, managing communication with clients and presenting findings and recommendations to clients.
Senior Research Associates are part of Laterite’s Management Team and have a voice in project selection, corporate strategy, and structuring Laterite’s research agenda. They have direct management responsibilities when it comes to the delivery of research projects. Senior Research Associates lead research teams on specific projects and are directly responsible for the management and technical oversight of these projects.
At Laterite, we value the career progression of our staff. We expect our staff to progress within the company and grow professionally, from both a managerial and technical perspective.
Key responsibilities include:
- Manage specific research projects and research teams (from operational and technical perspective)
- Contribute to the development of research proposals and pro-actively propose new research ideas/opportunities
- Oversee research design and development of sampling strategies/research instruments
- Lead qualitative and quantitative analysis, using statistical software such as STATA, R, or Python, and train research team members to ensure continuous professional development of the team on these tool
- Coordinate with Laterite Data & Quality Assurance teams to ensure the highest data quality standards
- Manage project budgets, including tracking project expenses and adherence to the budget targets
- Ensure that timelines and benchmarks are being met for our clients
- Lead client communication for project portfolio
- Develop a strong understanding of the local Rwandan context
- Provide support, as needed, to senior management team – including accounting, HR, logistics and related tasks.
Ideal candidates are passionate about international development and are willing to commit to live in Kigali, Rwanda, for at least three years. They have a Master Degree related to economics or engineering from a leading university, with at least 5 years of relevant professional experience. They are willing to develop their professional skills and lead the growth of an organization dedicated to social and economic development. They have outstanding technical or and managerial skills, are proficient communicators in English, have excellent interpersonal skills, are self-motivating, team players and are able to effectively solve problems and adapt to changing situations.
- Pre-requisite: excellent quantitative skills with a strong knowledge of econometrics, sampling techniques and program evaluation
- At least 5 years of work experience in international development, public policy, economic and social research, or management consulting
- Masters degree in economics, public policy, international development, public health, or a related field
- Strong statistical analysis skills and knowledge of related tools/software (in particular R, Stata, Python, and MatLab)
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English
- Fluent in English (French, Kinyarwanda or Swahili is a plus)
- Excellent management and organizational skills; must be detail-oriented, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, independent and motivated self-starter
- Experience living and working in different cultural settings; time spent in sub-Sahara Africa or other developing countries strongly preferred
- Must thrive in a growing organization setting, and be able to adapt to dynamic growth and change
Competitive with similar roles in other social enterprises and research firms. Benefits include two round-trip flights back home per year, generous leave, international health insurance, medical evacuation and individual/team bonuses.
Please complete the following application https://form.myjotform.com/70392685044560, including a CV, cover letter and a short writing sample within the link. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis so we encourage you to apply ASAP.