Laterite is led by a team of entrepreneurial professionals who strive to transform the way development research is done. Our research team has degrees from some of the world’s top universities and vast experience delivering research projects in emerging markets. Our data collection team is recruited from the best local universities and are rigorously trained. We are proud to be a culturally diverse organization. We are also very proud of our office culture that is hard working, but relaxed, non-hierarchical, and fun!
Position Description & Key Responsibilities
This Deputy Country Director (DCD) position is based full time in Kigali, Rwanda. Together with the Country Director, the Deputy Country Director (DCD) will be responsible for managing Laterite’s entire Rwanda operations; including the quality and timely delivery of our research projects, managing the professional development of the team, client engagement, financial management and business development. This includes:
- Leading Laterite’s research portfolio, from both an operational and technical perspective, ensuring we always achieve the highest possible standards of technical rigor
- Leading client engagement, including agreeing on project design, contracts, deliverables, ongoing project management and the communication of results and implications
- Motivating and managing a high performing team of researchers and data collection specialists, while ensuring continuous professional development for all Laterite staff, focusing not only on their time at Laterite but beyond
- Ensuring that effective project management systems are sustained and improving internal processes, be it in terms of sound financial management practices, data collection systems, workflow, time management, etc
- Identifying and pursuing opportunities for growth and innovation, be it from a technical, learning or business perspective.
- Providing technical leadership in all aspects of our work, including on program and impact evaluation design (e.g. regression discontinuity design, matching methods, matched cluster randomized control trials), sampling methods, econometric modelling, standard error measurements, network analysis and machine learning methods.
Ideal candidates are passionate about international development and are willing to commit to live in Kigali, Rwanda, for at least three years. They have at minimum a Master Degree related to economics or engineering from a leading university, with at least 8 years of relevant professional experience (a PhD or an MBA is a plus). They are willing to develop their professional skills and lead the growth of an organization dedicated to social and economic development. They have outstanding technical and managerial skills, are proficient communicators in English, have excellent interpersonal skills, are self-motivating, team players and able to effectively solve problems and adapt to changing situations.
- Pre-requisite: Outstanding quantitative skills with a strong knowledge of econometrics, sampling techniques and program evaluation
- Pre-requisite: Experience leading teams and managing clients in both public and/or private sectors
- Experience working on development projects, impact evaluations or strategy consulting projects
- At least 8 years of experience in international development, public policy economic and social research, or development/strategy consulting
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in economics or engineering; an MBA or PhD is a plus
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English
- Fluent in English (French, Kinyarwanda or Swahili is a plus)
- Experience living and working in different cultures; time spent in sub-Sahara Africa or other developing countries strongly preferred
- Must thrive in a growing organizational setting, and be able to adapt to dynamic growth and change
Competitive with similar roles in other social enterprises and research firms. Benefits include two round-trip flights back home per year, generous annual leave allowance, international health insurance, medical evacuation, and individual/team bonuses.
Please complete the following form https://form.myjotform.com/70301674007547, including a CV, cover letter and a short writing sample within the link. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis but we encourage you to apply ASAP.