Deadline: January 31, 2017
Black Rhino is an infrastructure investment company based in Africa and wholly-owned by Blackstone, a leading global alternative asset manager with over $360 billion of total assets under management. We recognize the massive shortage of infrastructure in sub-Saharan Africa and seek to close that gap through investment in the rapidly growing countries in which we operate. Black Rhino therefore seeks to (i) develop, construct, and then own and operate greenfield infrastructure projects and (ii) acquire existing infrastructure assets across sub-Saharan Africa. Our focus is currently in the power sector, where we are working on both renewable and thermal generation projects, and in the oil and gas space, where we develop greenfield fuel pipeline and storage facilities. Currently, Black Rhino is in advanced development of a gas-fired power plant in Nigeria and a $1.5bn refined fuel pipeline in Ethiopia, in addition to other ventures.
Role Description: Black Rhino is seeking Summer Associate Interns for a 10-week period between June 1st and August 31st 2017. The program will be split between Black Rhino’s Johannesburg and Dakar offices, with Summer Associates spending half of their time in each city. Summer Associates, who will have the same responsibilities as full-time Associates, will be at the forefront of transaction execution, working closely with management in driving our projects forward. Associates typically oversee analysts in the development of financial models, manage advisors evaluating new project opportunities, aid in raising debt financing and, take a very active role in key project contract structuring and negotiation. The role is ideal for someone with 3+ years of work experience in finance or project development who is looking to work across Africa and contribute to Africa’s economic development.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assisting in the Company’s development, review, and analysis of projects;
- Creating, modifying, and reviewing financial models for the Company’s proposed and existing projects;
- Identifying and reviewing greenfield development opportunities;
- Assisting in the raising of project finance debt; and
- Liaising with various third-party project stakeholders, including consultants and potentially government officials
- 3-5 years’ work experience ideally in a Banking, Private Equity, Consulting, or Development role;
- Strong presentation and communication skills;
- Financial modelling proficiency;
- Understanding of financial structures and conventions; and
- Proactive mindset focused on identifying and mitigating risks
Full Time Offers: Strong performance during the summer could lead to a full time offer to join the Black Rhino team.
Application Details: Contact Ramona Singh-Philander by the 31st of January 2017 with a 1-page CV. Decisions will be made by the end of February 2017.