About the Firm
CrossBoundary is a mission-driven investment firm committed to unlocking the power of capital to make a substantial return while creating a lasting difference in frontier markets. We take a transaction-centered approach to frontier markets. CrossBoundary provides investment advisory services, having developed a specialized expertise in unleashing investment across all sectors in fragile and frontier markets. Our advisory clients include governments, development finance institutions, private equity firms, Fortune 100 companies, and research institutions. Our direct investment arm, CrossBoundary Energy, finances solar projects in Africa. Learn more at www.crossboundary.com.
CrossBoundary is recruiting full-time Associates to advise on investment into off-grid energy businesses in Nigeria such as solar home systems and mini grids. CrossBoundary is not a development firm and is not seeking typical development skills. Associate candidates should have 3-6 years of experience working in high caliber finance or consulting organizations and experience working in developing countries – ideally in Nigeria. Expertise in project finance, renewable energy, and/or offgrid generation will be regarded favorably. We are open to candidates looking for a 1- to 2-year commitment as well as those who want to build a longterm career with our firm.
About the Team
CrossBoundary operates in frontier markets that hold immense investment opportunities. The CrossBoundary team is a unique group made up of people who are genuinely excited by the opportunity to make a difference in some of the most challenging yet exciting markets in the world. Team members come from diverse backgrounds, but share a number of qualities: curiosity, humility, integrity, a drive for excellence, and a bias for action.
CrossBoundary offers a highly competitive salary (including benefits).
- 3-6 years of experience in top tier banking, consulting, private equity, or similar
- Experience working in developing countries; experience in Nigeria is particularly relevant
- Past experience in renewable energy, with an emphasis on off-grid solar, is not required but will be regarded favorably
- Bachelor's degree required; MBA or other advanced degrees will be regarded favorably
Ideal Skills and Characteristics
- Strong quantitative skills and finance background; familiar with company evaluation and valuation
- Excellent analytical ability and discipline; ability to think clearly, structure problems logically, and then design and implement solutions that focus on the core issues
- Understanding of power project economics and the spectrum of renewable energy technologies
- Ability to build strong relationships with partners and colleagues in challenging environments
- Excellent presentation skills; ability to communicate clearly and effectively with diverse audiences
- Self-starter who is passionate about creating lasting change in frontier markets
- Comfort with ambiguity; ability to operate effectively in a changing context
- Willingness to work and live in a sometimes challenging environment
- Project identification and evaluation - Rigorously assess investment opportunities including assessment of power project economics
- Market assessment and ongoing market analysis - Conduct macroeconomic, regulatory, and operational assessments - Provide analysis of priority areas for investment
- Investor qualification and relations - Assist in identifying qualified investors - Manage investor relationships
- Transaction support - Assist team in supporting complex transactions
The Associate will be based in Lagos, Nigeria. There may be flexibility to accommodatecandidates that need to be in Abuja. Frequent travel is expected.
CrossBoundary is an equal opportunity employer.